As more and more people are working from home, you may find it necessary to set up off-site access to your Stata network. If you have Stata set up for access through an online VPN connection this allows people to work from home easily, however your analysis and program response times may be considerably slower because you are running everything over the internet. However, you can install Stata on individual computers without compromising the licence. This will still require VPN access for Stata to open, however Stata will run from the computer rather than over the internet.
To do this you will need to install Stata on the individual machines, but do not open the program to provide licence details. Instead, once you have installed Stata follow the instructions below:
1. Make sure you are logged in as the administrator account on the computer you have just installed Stata on
2. Click on the Windows menu icon (bottom left of screen) and search for a program called Command Prompt
3. Right-click the Command Prompt program and select "run as administrator". This will open the command window shown below
4. In this window you will need to navigate to the Stata folder by entering the following text and pressing the enter key - cd "c:/program files/stata16"
a. NOTE: If you are running Stata 15 or earlier, you will need to change the program files in the above line. The line becomes - cd "c:/program files (x86)/stata15"
b. If you have a previous version of Stata you will need to change the number after stata to your current version number.
5. Now enter another line of text that reads - mklink "c:/program files/stata16/stata.lic" \\ServerName\Program Files\Stata16\stata.lic
a. NOTE: replace ServerName with the name of your VPN Server
6. You should see a confirmation of the link being created, similar to the image below:
7. Close the command window.
8. Connect to the VPN and then run Stata from the computer (not the VPN).
If you get the response Access is denied rather than the message above of symbolic link created, access is usually denied because you are not running your command prompt as the administrator. If you are having difficulty setting this up you can contact us for help at email@example.com